Sunday, October 14, 2012

Drawloom Basics Class, Part 3 of 3 ~ Samples

The photos and basic information are shown in the order they were woven, and unless otherwise indicated, the side you are viewing is the side that was up as woven.

Opphamta.

Opphamta weave has a plain weave ground, with pattern floats.  You work from a chart, your own design or one you found (be careful of copyright).  This sample has a warp of 16/2 cotton bleached (plain weave), and 16/2 linen for pattern.  Warp is 14 ends/cm., and 14 picks/cm.


"Double Dragons."

The "Double Dragons" were woven on an Oxaback single unit drawloom with the charted design saved in pattern lashes.  This piece is 5 shaft satin.  The warp is 28/2 line linen, half-bleached, and the weft is 12/2 line linen, natural.  Warp is 16 ends/cm, and 16 picks/cm.


Smalandsvav sample.

Smalandsvav is a double harness weave, and can be set up on a standard loom.  This particular loom had a small extension for the warp beam to improve the shed.  The warp is 16/2 cotton, 12 ends/cm, and has 16/2 cotton (single) for the plain weave, and 16/2 cotton (doubled, a shuttle with two bobbins), 12 picks/cm.


"Cattails" woven on shaft draw.

The "Cattails" were woven on an Ideal loom with Myrehed shaft draw system.  This photo only shows a portion of the piece but I wanted to include a bit of the border.  The weave structure is 8 shaft satin.  Warp is 8/2 cotton, 14 ends/cm, and weft is 16/2 linen, 14 picks/cm.


Charted design (underside when on loom).

For this piece, I had chosen a charted design that would not be too difficult to weave given the time allowed, and I added a simple border.  It was woven using a Myrehed single unit attachment on, I believe, an Anderson floor loom with long extension.  The warp is 22/2 cottolin, doubled (black), 20 ends/cm, and 16/2 linen (I chose bright red), 10 picks/cm.


This photo shows a bit of the border (underside when on loom).

This side was up as I was weaving.

When weaving, or researching a weave, I like to keep notes on warp and wefts used, sizes, fibers, sett, and so on, to help in future weaving projects.

The samples have not yet been hemmed or washed, so you do see a few wrinkles from being folded when shipped.  How I wish I had a cold mangle for pressing pieces as the iron does not seem to get the wrinkles out.  Even when I think they are, a photo shows they are not! 

The next post, coming mid-week, is of drawloom pieces woven as examples for students, and pieces hung for display.  I was particularly taken with the Smalandsvav and Opphamta pieces.

5 comments:

MadCityMike said...

Beautiful pieces!!!! I especially like the Opphamta and Double Dragons patterns.
Now to try to get your security code right the 1st time.....I'm usually not so lucky, but understand why you have it. (As expected, I wasn't)

Anonymous said...

Janice, I have been avidly reading all about your adventures at Vavstuga and the drawlooms class. You may rest assured that I am green with envy! Your weaving samples are just wonderful each more beautiful than the last. Laura Fry has a video on you tube about cold mangling with a rolling pin, you might be interested to look at it.

Janice Zindel said...

Thanks, Michael! And sorry about putting the security code back but couldn't stand anymore of the spam. I find them the codes hard to read at times and need more than one attempt, but now understand far better why people have it in place.

Janice Zindel said...

Hi Thistle rose Weaving! Happy you enjoyed seeing my samples. I post about the classes and drawloom to encourage weavers who may have an interest to try it. If I can do it, anyone can! Thanks for the note about Laura Fry's rolling pin mangle on youtube, I will definitely watch and give it a try.

Janice Zindel said...

Thanks, Michael! And sorry about putting the security code back but couldn't stand anymore of the spam. I find them the codes hard to read at times and need more than one attempt, but now understand far better why people have it in place.