Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Time Out to Give Thanks...

These days, I am giving thanks over and over for friends and area church members willing to help their neighbors. The wood delivered here for this winter turned out to be freshly cut maple, not dry, and delivered right before school started. A couple art shows and the Fall Art Tour on my calendar along with problems with the log splitter delayed working on the wood to the point of keeping me awake nights wondering how we would get it done.


A good friend, Nancy, called to tell me her church has a crew that enjoys helping people out, and they were more than willing to come here and take care of our wood. This past Saturday at 8:30 AM, ten members of the St. Germain and Conover Evangelical Free Churches arrived here, and in six hours, using chain saws and two log splitters, had cut, split, and stacked 5 loggers cords of wood.


The job was finished at 2:30 PM, and a few minutes taken for photos (four adults had had to leave earlier) before loading up the log splitter and chain saws they had brought.



Also helping were my daughter, Linnea, and Nancy's daughters, Anna and Emilie. They worked hard all day and kept up with the men. Keesha kept everyone company and was always up for some petting. I also spent some time at our log splitter (now with a new motor put on a few days ago). Nancy had arrived early Saturday AM with chili, homemade cinnamon-apple sweet rolls, and a big coffee pot, and I made two pans of cornbread and served the food. The weather was perfect on Saturday, sunny, around 60 and a light breeze.



I still have half of the left half of the woodshed with dry wood from last winter, now being burned on colder evenings. On warmer non-burning days/nights the thermostat is kept at 64 or 65 degrees. The new wood will need time to dry and likely can't be burned until at least January (maple dries faster than oak). For now, on nice days, the wood is uncovered so sun and wind can help the drying along. When rain (or snow) is expected, tarps cover the tops of the woodpiles.

So, my continuing thanks to everyone who gave up several hours of their Saturday to help a northwoods neighbor. You are, and remain, in my thoughts and prayers.

I have had a couple weeks of dealing with home, family, and recently making the decision to move back to southern WI, hopefully next summer. I love our home here in the northwoods, and very thankful for 17 years up here, 13 years in this house. However, with my husband gone five years now and my last two children leaving home in less than a year, I've reached the conclusion that this house is too big and too much maintenance for me alone. The time has come for to move on and start a new life. I've been making lists of what to keep, give, toss, and take to thrift stores. Now, the work of moving begins.


Today I am working in the studio sewing strips for rag rugs. Another shuttle is filled and waiting at the loom, and several more sheets are waiting to be cut into strips and sewn together. While working, I am wondering how I will get everything done and still be able to do MY studio work. Somehow, I will make it all happen. A new adventure begins.

10 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That's so nice that they came to help you with all of that wood!! (And that is a frightening amount of wood really!!)

Glad to hear your thoughts on moving. You alluded to it a while ago, but weren't as specific. A house really does require a lot of maintenance - sometimes it can even seem like a lot for 2 people. So your move will allow you to have more time with your looms - once you get through the move.

Good luck with it all!

Sue

Janice Zindel said...

It was not easy to agree to "receive" instead of "give" but winter has been coming fast this year, so I agreed to accept help. I've always been on the giving end and will definitely be passing this forward!

As to moving, I'm finally ready to leave the life we made here and move on. Hopefully a buyer will come along next summer. Now, I'm looking at what my needs will be for my next home. Have you ever tried to get a realtor to understand the need for space for BIG LOOMS and all that goes with it? I tried a couple years ago, without success. This time I'll have a photo album with me so he/she can see what I have and try to understand the need for space.

Swanknitter said...

I can understand your decision to move. I was in that camp until a couple of key pieces fell throug, so for now I am staying put. It's partially the thought of moving all this STUFF that prevents me. How many stashes do you have?

Janice Zindel said...

I've had several intrests over the last 40 years, some stashes are completely gone, a couple have small stashes, and by far, weaving/spinning/sock-cranking is the biggest, but I am USING the materials so don't have a problem with that.

I'll really be leaving here without living room furniture, no bed etc. for myself (it's built-in), no appliances. So weight-wise on a moving truck, it balances out the looms, equipment, and books/publications I have collected over the years that I will be taking with me. I have my priorities straight!

I am going to be whittling things down, though, over the next few months, at least somewhat. And continuing to weave and make socks will take care of some of the stash.

Theresa said...

Well, winter is a good time to reflect and plan changes
and ease yourself into letting go. By spring I bet you'll be chomping at the bit to get moving. I'm sure you'll find somewhere as beautiful and productive while not having all the work and space that is unnecessary as you begin a new chapter.

MadCityMike said...

In one way, I am sorry to hear of your decision to move, but in another I am pleased for you. I moved to Madison from SW Michigan, out of a log cabin, which was on a small lake, and do miss it at times, but I have many things, too, that I am grateful for resulting from my move.
And besides, hopefully I will get to meet you in person! :)

MadCityMike said...

OH! Thank you for commenting on my log!

Janice Zindel said...

What I need for my next space is a large studio with a small kitchen, bath, place to sleep, and a comfy chair. I don't ask for much!

I will miss it up here, and writing about the area, as well as being a wildlife rescue driver, but also know there will be a place new to me, or changed a lot if I go back "home," but plenty to explore and appreciate.

It will feel very odd going back to "city life" after being in the woods for 17+ years, but really feel I am now ready for this change. A lot to get done over the next few months, just hope I can keep myself on track.

My folks are in their early 80's and having health issues, so it will be much easier to help out after moving back down to southern WI.

I've been looking into weaving guilds, etc., too, giving myself activities to look forward to. All will be well.

Janice Zindel said...

I'm looking forward to meeting you, too, Mike, someday!

Susan said...

Now that's a wood pile! Good friends are a treasure...

There is only the two of us but our homes don't seem to get smaller. Between my looms and hub's astronomy, model railway and woodworking... they stay the same size. We simply dowsize the amount of 'other stuff' one accumulates... oh, and try to be closer to sevices such as groceries, Dr's and the like.

Simply show the realtor the looms and say "they are coming with me" and they do the rest!

Happy Thanksgiving to you...

Susan