Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Workable Studio Space

While working to finish weaving up the remaining warp on the countermarche loom, finishing the sleying of the drawcord warp, cranking more socks, and waiting for other socks to dry, I thought I'd share a few pics of my "new" studio space. Building a new space or adding on to my home was not an option, so I took over the main floor of my home (except the kitchen), bringing looms, equipment, and yarns down to my former living room and laundry area, making my work area accessible to visitors.


My countermarche loom, where I spend a good deal of time, sits in front of the big window looking out at Torch Lake. A stereo is nearby for public radio and classical music. In warmer weather, open windows and doors, a (Gregorian) windchime and birdsong are all the music that are needed. There is a porch the width of the house, a wonderful spot to sit and spin on nice days, as well as washing fleece and setting out drying racks.

Although not set up in this pic, the sock machine is most often set up between the two looms, giving me space to move about and a bench on which to set cones of yarns for socks about to be made.

The drawloom needs a long wall, and it was positioned so the bench would be near the windows for daylight. Ratchets are positioned for easy access to advance the warp. A 22" 8 shaft Harrisville sits nearby for smaller projects.

Shelving units holding cones of weaving and sock yarns sit in a darker corner away from sunlight. The desk area is Command Central. A vintage Gallinger rug loom sits nearby, awaiting weft prep.


A wide variety of sock yarn colors allows many different combinations of colors, over 85 so far.


Most of my weaving reference library lives to the right of the desk; various weaving publications are across the room and upstairs.


Lastly, the laundry room was rearranged to accommodate a sewing table as well as a cutting table. Drying rack, ironing board, and washer and drier are nearby.

This has turned out to be a far more convenient arrangement than what I had before. Of course, the living room is now upstairs but we're getting accustomed to that. Now, when I got to my work, it's to a pleasant and organized space. There are additional bins of sheets (for rag rugs), more cones of yarns, fleece, etc. upstairs and in the basement, fairly well labeled.

There is still work to be done. When temps are warmer and windows and doors can be open, the walls need linseed oil and floors need to be refinished, but the studio is well on its way to being ready for visitors. This evening, back to my loom...

7 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Thanks for the virtual studio tour!! I admire the boldness of taking over the first floor of your house!

My husband has offered loom space in the living room, but so far I've been keeping everything together in my studio. (Well, except for my sewing room which has been the dining room all winter.....Hmmmm....maybe I'm moving in a similar direction to yours?!)

Have fun!
Sue

Carol from MN said...

Wow..... what a spectacular studio space!!! I love the rustic, creative, hand hewn and hand made feel of your surroundings!

Janice Zindel said...

I know taking over the first floor of a home won't work for everyone, but it has been a good move for me. It felt like I was constantly needing something that was on a different floor, having to move things, so except for some storage, it's all in one area now. A joy, now, to go to my "work" each day.

Today I'm trying out the cutting,
sewing area, there are sheets to cut into strips and sew for rugs.

Janice Zindel said...

Hi Carol, "rustic" and "hand hewn" are exactly the right words for this house/studio. Definitely not for everyone (dust, upkeep) but I'd always loved log homes and have enjoyed living in one for the past 16 years.

The feel of the place definitely lends itself to creativity!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Oh my gosh, you have just revealed Paradise to me! Including the location! Oh my, oh my!

Janice Zindel said...

Hi Peg,
I don't think Paradise would require this much upkeep (inside and out), but it has been a lovely place to live for the past 12 years.

Now that the inside is somewhat ready for visitors (except those pesky floors that need refinishing), I'll begin working outside for awhile, raking, digging, planting, hauling away junk wood, and cleaning up the area where we cut/split/stack wood, to get it ready for the next 10+ loggers cords of wood. Uff da!

Just Me Jody said...

Wow Jan your weaving studio space is wonderful, now I can see how you can be so creative with your weaving.
Way to go!!!