Sunday, February 15, 2009

Single Unit Drawloom, Starting Over


Today I decided I would finish stripping down the Glimakra single unit drawloom and really start over as it had been in storage for 13+ years. The newly washed cords for counterweights are back on the loom, and the counterweights are in a box nearby.

The old drawcord warp was made from a wonderful well-sized linen of a quality that is no longer made. After unwinding the warp and finding a few of the cords broken or chewed through, it was removed from the loom. I am using the information in "Opphampta and Damask" for length of the new warp.

I'll also be ordering two new reeds for the drawcord warp, one for the overhead warp beam, and one that sits in the reed holders behind the round metal beam and over the pattern heddles. The reed removed from overhead today had a removable cap, and despite being tied, it had opened on one end while in storage.

The Texsolv cords on the sides of the shafts as well as the long "V" cords were also removed today, examined, and washed; two of the "V" cords need to be replaced.

Tomorrow I will remove what is left of the old warp. Since the loom has been in storage for so long I expect there would be considerable breakage of the fine cotton threads when weaving. Rather than set myself up for problems, I will re-warp the loom with new cotton.

Tonight, I am continuing research on what to use for the drawcord warp, as well as what sizes would be good for warp and weft. If all goes well, everything will be ordered tomorrow.

While waiting for the orders to arrive, the loom will be wiped down with a slightly damp cloth to remove dust (a log home/studio has dust, plus we get some of our heat from a woodrange in the kitchen), and the rest of the newly washed cords will be placed back on the loom. Meanwhile, there are more towels to weave, and socks to crank.

This morning, Shirley, another co-op gallery member, asked if I had any socks her size as her feet have been cold. I'll be taking a selection over for her to choose from.

2 comments:

Lynnette said...

Amazing, I can't wait to see the drawloom up and running. I have only seen one drawloom in operation and was amazed by the loom music....

Janice Zindel said...

I'm looking forward to having the drawloom up and going again, too, it's been a long, long time. I'm working on it in-between other weaving, making socks, and family.
Right now, I'm just enjoying each part of the process. The "loom music," isn't it wonderful? It's one of the reasons I searched to find some older-style lingos.