Sunday, September 28, 2008

Art in the Yard



Art in the Yard was held yesterday, an annual art sale by members of the Art Gypsies, loosely comprised of a few members from the cooperative gallery I am part of, and a couple other area artists.

It was an overcast sometimes drizzly autumn day in the northwoods of WI, but attendance was good. Tents were up, art and artists were there, coffee and treats were available, and a small bonfire was kept burning throughout the day.

There was quite a bit of interest in the 1908 Gearhart sock machine that I was demonstrating on. I was pleased that of the twenty-eight pairs of socks I had there, sixteen pairs sold. I came home with orders for four more pairs of socks when people liked a particular pair, but needed a different size than what I had available yesterday.

Most people have never seen an antique circular sock knitting machine before and are fascinated with seeing one in use. I had a very enjoyable day sharing my interest, explaining how the socks are made, and answering questions. Before the day was over I was asked to do another demo at the Three Lakes Center of the Arts at their last Open House of the season. The best part of the day was people's enjoyment of my work and the colors I use, and seeing my socks going off to keep people warm during the coming winter.



2 comments:

Chaska Peacock said...

Oh, what an inviting photo! Your blog is off to a wonderful start!!!

Yummy socks, too!

Janice Zindel said...

Thanks, Chaska! I suddenly decided to take the plunge into the world of blogging. Needing to write and post pictures will be a great motivational tool for me. I enjoy reading other fiber artists blogs, and thought I'd share my work here. Thanks again!